Thursday, May 20, 2010

Where is Lori Petty?

There is something soothing about listening to audio books. They flash me back to childhood, memories of my mum reading me a story before going to sleep. So I have this cold right. I'm feeling miserable. So I listening to one of my favourite pulp crime fiction novels One For The Money. I'm listening and laughing and starting to feel better, but something is niggling at me. That voice. Who is this woman reading this story to me. Then bamn! I realise it's smeggin' Tank Girl aka Lori Petty.

This is a movie I watched over and over again in 1995, avoiding doing as much homework as possible. I'm pretty sure my first ever webpage I ever made (Tangent: OMG, I just googled HotDog Web Developer and it looks like it still exists. Funny.) was Tank Girl themed. Anyway, I've stopped listening to the book at this point as my brain has gone off on a little labyrinth of wonder. Where is Lori Petty these days? She kicked ass as Tank Girl. Where O where are you Lori?

Turns out (thanks to IMDB) she's in heaps of random TV stuff I just never saw, and other bits and bobs. She Directed her first movie based on her own life and she's living in California painting up a storm, which is all really cool. I really like her art, it's dark and angsty, but not in the conventional way. Lori was dark and angsty before Emo's stole it and made it bad.

I'm a bit sad not to see her on the big screen these days, but glad to discover she's found other creative outlets and seems to be the same beautiful person I adored her for 15 years ago. Oh and she gives good audio book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment